SHUSD Textbooks and Instructional Materials
The textbook-adoption process includes these steps:
1. The principal meets with the Director of Curriculum and Instruction.
• Review process.
• Establish a timeline resulting in board action.
• Select Instructional Materials Evaluation Committee.
2. Instructional Materials Evaluation Committee.
• Director of Curriculum and Instruction.
• Teachers (minimum two).
• Parent(s), additional staff, as deemed necessary (two to three).
3. Text-review process.
• Committee reviews state-adopted list.
• Committee screens adopted texts for quality and alignment to state standards and selects two to four texts for further review.
• Publisher representatives for each selected text make presentations to the committee.
• Publisher representative presents district with costs for piloting textbook (in writing).
• Publisher representative presents district with costs for entire adoption, if selected (in writing).
• Teachers pilot text for two semesters.(if possible)
• Piloting teachers meet with other staff at least two times to discuss text and make recommendations.
• Evaluation form is completed by each teacher piloting text.
• Recommendation is made to Superintendent.
• Community display of recommended text(s) (30 days).
• Superintendent recommends approval of adoption to board of trustees.
• Board of trustees meeting for first reading of adoption recommendations
.• Board of trustees’ approval of recommended texts (second reading). Each student, including English learners, has access to current, standards-based textbooks and other.
SHUSD is currently in the process of reviewing ELA/ELD textbook materials in the 2016-2017school year. Scheduled implementation of the adopted textbook will be in the 2017-2018 school year.